Friday, 4 May 2018

Music on Hold - One licence not two

Music on Hold and Music in the Workplace

Do you have the relevant licence?

If you play (non royalty free) music on your premises for staff and customers, through the radio, TV, CD, computer speakers or MP3 or play music on hold on your phone system, the chances are, you need a licence to do so.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states that playing music through such channels to staff or customers is deemed to be a public performance and you must get permission from the copyright holder to play it.  

On 26th February 2018 the Performing Rights Society (PRS) and Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL), the UK's two music collecting societies, joined forces to set up PPL PRS Ltd to combine their licencing activities.  

This transition will mean you only have to apply for a single licence THEMUSICLICENCE, instead of the two licences previously required.

There are great benefits of playing music on hold to your customers to keep them engaged on the phone whilst waiting and we all know that music  significantly enhances the atmosphere in a waiting room or workplace and of course, it's only fair that the musicians get paid for their work.  

We are aware that random checks are regularly made by the licencing bodies, so please be warned and ensure you have the necessary licence in place, as penalities are very steep.

For more information check out the PPLPRS website 

Don't get caught out!

The Merlin Team

No comments:

Post a comment